Friday, February 20, 2015

Activisms and Inclusivity.

I've been thinking about activism. I consider myself an activist: a queer activist, a feminist activist, and a disability activist. I don't feel very comfortable in a lot of activist communities though because a lot of activisms simply don't consider disability. It's not that they're trying to be exclusive; they just aren't remembering to be inclusive. So I hear a lot of dismissive comments about "internet activists" and "feet in the streets; boots on the ground," which is great and all, but if I am going to have my feet in the streets I have to ride an hour by bus (a bus that's only available every thirty minutes) and be able to get the last bus home (between seven and nine depending on day--Sundays are out because the bus doesn't come at all, time of year and how the transit authority has decided it's going to screw my neighborhood). I also have to know that I don't have to walk too far (epilepsy is not my only disability, and I have severe joint issues that are exacerbated when I have to do a lot of walking or repetitive movements) either to get to the rally/vigil/meeting/protest or that if the even includes a march it won't be far or too strenuous. So when people schedule these events at times that are impossible for me or other people with disabilities and then get pissy about us not showing up, I get a bit peeved.

And it's not just the people who can't drive, of course. There are so many activisms that are inaccessible for PWDs because they fail to consider sign language or closed captioning or accessible buildings or reaching out to people who are unable to leave their homes for whatever reason. There are so many activisms and activists who don't think about their language and the repercussions when they use ableists terms to describe the oppressions their fighting. It's not welcoming to us.

It's boundlessly frustrating. And I'm tired of being told that I need to be less sensitive, take a joke, or be patient. No. I am an activist. I am as much an activist as any of them. They would not wish to have their queer or feminist identities insulted. Why should I be less sensitive about having my disability insulted? They would not like to be told to be patient about queer or women's rights. Why should I be patient about disability rights?

I'm not going to be completely negative. I will give kudos to those who've worked to be inclusive. I was asked to read a poem at my community's Trans Day of Remembrance, and they worked hard to be inclusive to those of all abilities. It was beautiful. The day was not about me, but it was lovely to see that this activist community took care to include as many people as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment